| Jun. 26, 2017


HAM license requirements

To use ham radio you must pass a written examination and be assigned a call sign from the FCC. Once you acquire your ham radio license,  you will be the only one in the world with that unique call sign.

Get Your Ham Radio License

Get Your Ham Radio License! It’s Important… It’s Fun To Use!!

The ham radio license test was once considered a bit difficult until recently. A few years ago The FCC did away with the requirement that you pass a morse code exam. The FCC currently issues three different classes of amateur ham radio license:  Technician class, General class, and Extra class. The exam for the entry-level Technician class is fairly easy covering basic ham radio regulations, safety, operating practices and basic simple electronics. The exam has 35 questions and you need 74% (that’s only 26 questions), correctly answered to pass the test. It takes an average 10 hours of study, depending on your background and memory.




The Technician class license is primarily for talking locally using repeaters. It is highly valuable for emergency communication in a disaster situation and also allows all modes of communication in the VHF,  and microwave bands and beyond. You can operate simplex which allows you to contact others directly without the use of a repeater. The Technician class license gives limited privileges in the HF (High Frequency) bands; the ones primarily used for long-distance communications. Each subsequent license exam is more challenging but the reward is being able to operate more powerful equipment. For most people in the prepper community, handheld ham radio operation is a primary goal. The Technician class license will cover all the requirements. This will also give you the benefit of being able to use a 2 meter radio in your home or vehicle.


You can get started in ham radio for about $75.00.

  • $25.00 for an online entry level ( Technician class), ham radio license exam course.
  • $15.00 for a license exam session fee.
  •  About $30.00 for a Baofeng UV-5R Dual Band Radio. This will work for local VHF/UHF communications.

    Ham Radio License Test

    Study online; Take practice tests online. Take test by appointment in person.

We recommend the “Ham Test Online,” for your study guide. They offer a 2- year subscription to the technician course for $24.95. They also guarantee 100% success or your money back.

Another option for studying in preparation for the ham radio test is purchasing a book . If you go that route we recommend books written by, “Gordon West.”


Your study material will provide a list of examiners. You can also google your local ham radio club. They will schedule examinations when they have enough participants.


If you do not want to go through the licensing process there is another option but it has it’s limitations.

Multi-Use Radio Service, [MURS], is an unlicensed two-way radio service similar to citizens band, [CB]. The FCC defines MURS as “a private two-way, short distance voice communication service for personal or business activity of the general public.” You must operate with a power limit of 2 watts and
you cannot use repeaters. You are limited to the use of 5 frequencies, which would enable an undesirable contact or the equally undesirable ability for someone to locate your base of operation in a survival situation.

Even with these limitations MURS, is a great option for tactical training and survival communication with family, neighbors, and close-by maneuvers.

A basic handheld ham radio along with The Survival Antenna will prove very effective in the field.

If you are currently operating a ham radio on MURS we recommend that you get licensed as soon as you are able. This will allow you greater flexibility especially in frequency and band range.

BE PREPARED! Have several handheld ham radios, extra batteries, a way to recharge and a dependable extended range antenna like The Survival Antenna!  Get one now!

© Copyright 2024, all rights reserved.

Kalispell, MT